First impressions of City BBQ: damn good.
Pat and I had the Judges’ Sampler which has a 1/4 chicken and 1/2 slab of ribs plus pulled pork, beef brisket, 2 sides, 2 cornbreads and Texas toast. We had greens and mac ‘n cheese as the sides:
Our completely subjective rating:
- Ribs: Excellent! Not too dry, not too drippy. Definitely a smoky taste to them, though I would have liked a little more
- BBQ Pulled Beef Brisket: Excellent. Not dried out. Lots of good smoky taste.
- BBQ Chicken: Very good. NOT dried out! Good and juicy.
- BBQ pulled pork: Very good. “Pulled” only in the sense of how it was pulled / shredded off the bone. Not cooked like typical NC pulled pork.
- Mac ‘n Cheese: Good. But no “crispies” and I think it could have used more Parmesan to give it that salty taste.
- Greens: Good enough, but could have been better. But I’ll admit I’m a snob when it comes to greens. These were way too drippy and the pork seasoning was too much IMHO.
- Cornbread: Very good, for sweet cornbread. My personal preference is for cornbread to be more on the savory side. But this was moist and flavorful, just not my preference.
Between the two of us, we _almost_polished off the sampler. Still had enough to take home a lunch’s worth of leftovers.